The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Skara Brae Forum Start a topic | Search
Skara Brae
Skara Brae
25 messages
Select a forum:
I was watching a DVD of Simon Schama's 'History Of Britain' Episode One the other day, and it again reminded me of how little we know of daily life in Neolithic times. Skara Brae is absolutely fascinating in this respect - it's almost timeless. The layout and design of these buildings, the furnishings of the dwellings, with mantel pieces, hearths etc, food storage facilities, and the proximity to the nearby Stones all show us a clearly defined culture and community that is so close to our modern selves. Does anyone know of any other examples of remants of Neolithic communities that still gives us this wonderful and inspiring glimpse into the human reality of our ancestors that is still so close to us ?

I'm planning to visit Iona in the not too distant, maybe next year, and I must visit Skara Brae and it's environs whilst I'm there. Anyway, I'm a novice compared to most folk here, but I thought I'd post this link anyway:

http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/skarabrae/

Reply | with quote
The Sea Cat
Posted by The Sea Cat
28th June 2011ce
11:58

2 replies:

Re: Skara Brae (tjj)
Re: Skara Brae (CARL)

Messages in this topic: