The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Northumberland Forum Start a topic | Search
Northumberland
Re: R rated
4 messages
Select a forum:
Rhiannon wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/scie[...]all-roman-britain-refugee-camp

Not quite prehistoric, but I thought people might find it interesting? Turns out they've found lots of roundhouses in part of Vindolanda, and it's being interpreted as a protected refugee camp for people fleeing from the north.

Thanks Rhiannon, I found that article both interesting and plausible. I walked up to the Housesteads Roman Fort (Vercovicium) near Hexham when I was Northumbria at the beginning of May. It was a rectangular complex on the slope up to the wall. The drop on the other side of the wall was a steep incline - not sure if this is the vicinity of the dig but not hard to visualise that allies of the romans living just outside the fort would be pretty much well protected. I noticed that Stan Beckensall has also written about Hadrian's Wall Empire Halts Here- I managed to resist the strong temptation to purchase it.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
21st June 2011ce
08:23

In reply to:

R rated (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic:

R rated (Rhiannon, Jun 21, 2011, 06:41)
    • Re: R rated (tjj, Jun 21, 2011, 08:23)
    • Re: R rated (StoneGloves, Jun 21, 2011, 10:49)
    • Re: R rated (Howburn Digger, Jun 21, 2011, 20:12)