The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Marlborough Mound Forum Start a topic | Search
Marlborough Mound
Re: Prehistoric origins confirmed!
90 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
StoneGloves wrote:
Hill altar is a persuasive term but - is there any evidence that things happened on them ? It's also possible that they were admired from nearby. Another question is whether the artificial hills were copied from natural ones - particularly drumlins - from landscapes with a different geology. Judging from the three I know best, Proudy Hill, Sugarloaf Hill and the one near Thornhope who's name escapes me, they were surrounded with other monuments, large and small.

Blakey Topping in North Yorkshire, with its nearby stone circle, is another possible "proto-Silbury". I think Copey suggests this in the papery TMA.

The Ring of Brodgar comes to mind which, apart from nearby Maes Howe burial chamber, also has a smaller mound close to the stone circle - no where near as big as Silbury but probably a similar size as the Marlborough Mound.

Is Dragon Hill at Uffington an artificial hill, because it even looks like an altar.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
2nd June 2011ce
21:30

In reply to:

Re: Prehistoric origins confirmed! (thesweetcheat)

1 reply:

Re: Prehistoric origins confirmed! (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: