The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Morbihan (56) including Carnac Forum Start a topic | Search
Morbihan (56) including Carnac
Re: Carnac sites, help
5 messages
Select a forum:
Yes it's do-able but a bit fiddly.
I did something similar using gpsbabel a few years back to import the .kml data into some mapping software but that was before there were any European sites.

If you take the zipped file (and unzip the .kml file) from the map page and run it through the software you can output various formats for gps or mapping software. I've just had a play with it and the main issues are there are over 10000 waypoints (sites) plus the site names would be too long for something like my old Garmin GPS12. Although you can sort the file on the monument type there doesn't seem to be a way to select only sites from a particular country or region. The solution to this would be to sort on grid reference and then delete all the sites to the north/south/east/west of the particular grid square of the area you were interested in.

For example here's a few lines sorted on latitude-
-2.9476 47.56974 Mane Rutuel Passage Grave
-2.95017 47.57146 Grand Menhir Brise Standing Stone / Menhir
-2.95043 47.57172 Table des Marchants Chambered Cairn
-2.89889 47.57188 Gavr'inis Chambered Cairn

Taking the full file you would delete all the sites further north or south than the area you want then sort on longitude and then wipe anything to the east or west. Hope that makes sense!

-Chris

Reply | with quote
Chris Collyer
Posted by Chris Collyer
27th May 2011ce
12:46

In reply to:

Re: Carnac sites, help (juamei)

1 reply:

Re: Carnac sites, help (bogman)

Messages in this topic: