The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Embrace The Apocalypse
80 messages
Select a forum:
While I don’t doubt your decent intentions, that you are not one of those Evil Greed-heads on both sides of the Climate argument (admit it – there’s far far more on the carbon/oil side!), and aside from the hard science (leave that to the scientists!), you must admit that we are all guilty (and that includes you too!) of cherry-picking what we choose to believe in. It’s a bit like what we do, in this website, when opening only the thread that we know we’re going to be interested in and ignoring all others (I nearly missed this discussion here!). That clearly doesn’t give you a clear global idea of the people here. For instance, in the last decade there have been more than enough nasty revelations on the Oil Lobby side which climate skeptics would never report. That’s why you can’t expect people like me to remain anything other than Sceptical of the Sceptics.

Regardless of the scientific debate (of which there is none as far as I know, even though the media always want to give that impression of 50-50, just for the sake of journalistic convention) and focusing purely on the psychological aspect, it is almost ludicrous, though entirely human, how these days some people still prefer to believe the Unbelievable in the face of Current Climate Change. What’s human is folks loudly proclaiming ‘I don’t like being told what to do’ which basically stands for ‘I like it the way it is, i.e. Lazy’ or simply - ‘I couldn’t be arsed’. As long as there’s still oil, that is, lest we have to Re-gress 100 years in historical terms and are forced back to growing food for subsistence in dire conditions, something still entirely possible, independently of whether climate change happens or not. For humans, it’s always hard to Embrace the Apocalypse. I’m sure we have now gone past the 3-4 degree mark and are heading for the 6 degrees, irrevocably going straight for the Geo-engineering ‘A-La-Carte’ option, which is in itself just what the Powers-that-be will adopt as the Ultimate Big Excuse, most likely unilaterally, with unexpected consequences for the countries that are not in their sphere of influence. A kind of Revised Colonialism to carry on with the Status Quo regardless of the Natural Mess that will come out of it. Climate-gate indeed.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Annexus Quam
24th November 2011ce
23:18

In reply to:

Some Glacial Science.... (jshell)

Messages in this topic: