The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: OT: Government's attitude to green energy
80 messages
Select a forum:
Thank you Robert for your superb and balanced essay on the subject of climate change. I agree with the point you made about Africa, though its hard to watch. I understand the Sahara was once fertile plains.

I've copied this little bit of your post:

Neverthless it makes logical sense to me to go full out to find alternatives to fossil fuel now... since pumping anything even potentially harmful into the atmosphere when there is a credible alternative would not make sense. Motor companies should be morally persuaded to cease production of ridiculous sports cars and focus upon how society is going to get around in the future when the oil's gone. Population has soared to such an extent that any notion of returning to how we used to be pre-Industrial Revolution is frankly ludicrous, so unless a new source of energy can be discovered the future is bleak indeed, even with severe population growth restrictions. Guess we are looking for a new Einstein-calibre (or above) genius to get us out of this mess.

I fully realise that we cannot return to a 'horse power' society given the population explosion that's going on. One person restricting the use of their car is not going to make a difference is it, but that's where it starts. I read somewhere recently that many cities now have traffic free zones where people can just wander on foot - surely this is the way forward because whatever you believe about the causes of climate change, traffic pollution does have a serious impact on health.

On the political side of things, I have to wonder, along with many others, why the police spent millions on the under cover operation involving Mark Kennedy when all the Environmentalists were embarked on was peaceful protest. Unethical to say the least.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
19th November 2011ce
16:57

Messages in this topic: