The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury & the Marlborough Downs Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury & the Marlborough Downs
Re: Proposed NT cafe in Avebury
30 messages
Select a forum:
sleeptowin wrote:
whats wrong with them opening a cafe?
theres already one there, but its hidden away.
personally when i went i thought a shop selling drinks would have been handy. i know theres a pub there, but i dont go to pubs and i dont drink alcohol so i wouldnt have gone in there.
its not like they have taken it over and put avebury world signs all over the place.
its still pretty open and free from tacky signs or money making things.
and as long as they arnt building a new building there, whats the harm?

I had decided not to comment further on this matter but would like to answer your post. I read the well made points against the NT opening another cafe under the 'Avebury Pub Fire' thread. The point that swayed me was that of a national charity, set up to preserve/conserve this countries ancient monuments and buildings, having a monopoly of facilities in the World Heritage Site/village of Avebury. My knee-jerk reaction was 'lets do something rather than just talking about it'. However, it has been pointed out that to initiate an unpopular petition against the National Trust would do more harm than good. The NT has many paid up members and they wouldn't be members if they didn't think the organistion was a good thing. Like you I don't really use the pub but what is life without a cup of Earl Grey ...

Once again - what at first seemed a black and white now seems various shades of grey so I'll shut up and let the people with the inside knowledge of Avebury politics sort it out. The existing cafe/restaurant is fine for my needs.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
14th February 2011ce
10:01

In reply to:

Re: Proposed NT cafe in Avebury (sleeptowin)

Messages in this topic: