The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Scotland Forum Start a topic | Search
Scotland
Re: Travelling between Gill's Bay and Ullapool
12 messages
Select a forum:
I was last up in the area a few years back holidaying at Gairloch and Ullapool. These are fair distances on poor roads.
If you have a full day take the coastal A836/ A838/A894/A837/A835 route. It is long and winding but a totally epic journey. I did it with a pal back in the early 90's. The weather shifted between black storms and blue, blue skies over the course of the FULL day we took to travel from Ullapool to Wick. We didn't do any sites (we had intended stopping at Inchnadamph but didn't) but the coastal route is worth it alone for the Kyles of Tongue and the headlands and beaches at Durness, Torrisdale and Armadale. The roads are in many parts single track with passing places and will have been trashed and pot-holed by the severe winter weather this year.
For speed and ease of travelling I'd take the main road A9 down to Strathpeffer and go back up the A835. But your probably looking at 4 hours at least without any stops for that one.
The short answer is there are no short cuts.

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
6th February 2011ce
14:14

Messages in this topic: