The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Avebury Pub Fire......
52 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Monopolies always over-charge, so do quangos. So a monopolistic quango wouldn't be my choice for running tea rooms in Avebury!

True, all the more reason for a teashop to be run by someone other than the NT. It could be argued that, as the NT already have a cafe at Avebury, they shouldn’t be allowed to monopolise the place with another.

There are three issues:

1) Does Avebury actually need another food outlet? I’d argue no, not a food outlet, but perhaps a nice little tea/coffee shop with table service perhaps yes?
2) Who runs it? Not the National Trust because they’ve already got a cafe in Avebury and it’s not very good.
3) Would it be commercially viable. I doubt it (Avebury can be very quiet a lot of the time) but that’s something for someone in the catering service to evaluate.

The primary issue is surely whether any additional attraction should be created inside the stone circle by the organisation supposedly justifying its presence at Avebury under the guise of preservation.

Reply | with quote
VBB
Posted by VBB
10th February 2011ce
17:55

In reply to:

Re: Avebury Pub Fire...... (Littlestone)

1 reply:

Re: Avebury Pub Fire...... (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: