The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Savages and howling barbarians...
29 messages
Select a forum:
One bit of this is true. And that's about flint - or stone - tools. They were still being used long after the rich people had started with metal ones.

Something that has struck me about various monuments that I've found after them being abandoned all those millennia ago, is how crude the people were that built them. I know this is blasphemous but, by looking at the way the stones have been worked and moved, I've concluded that it was a very dark and brutal period. Look at copper mining - a child goes down a tunnel with a bunch of sticks, sets light to them, at the end, stokes the fire up, then quenches it with water. The tunnel's maybe four feet high. Then the ore is chipped away and dragged out in baskets. What kind of a life's that? What would one need to do to a person to persuade them to do it? What would the children's home life be like?

So it's probably quite wrong to subscribe to the myth of the noble savage.

Reply | with quote
StoneGloves
Posted by StoneGloves
13th January 2011ce
11:44

In reply to:

Savages and howling barbarians... (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: