The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
interesting bronze object
26 messages
Select a forum:
This is the curio I found on the western slopes of Cissbury Ring....I chased some neds tearing about on their BMX's though it is clearly signposted that such practices are firbidden...trying to be funny they did wheelies etc in front of me(but out of throttling reach)...I spotted this green object in the newly ripped soil.....This picture is of it alongside my thumb for size indication....it would have originally been spherical...but has been flattened over time(weight of earth, ploughs etc???)...it has a hole through it...from the jagged edge in the centre of the line around the top/bottom.
Steyning Museum curators think it may be a dagger pommel(I thought it might be a high class wool spinning weight)...Worthing and The British Museums have not been in touch once....despite almost 17 years of trying to get this identified....see what others think

[IMG]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc317/resonation/DSC00008.jpg[/IMG]

Reply | with quote
Posted by Resonox
31st January 2011ce
14:57

Messages in this topic: