The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Newgrange Forum Start a topic | Search
Newgrange
Re: New theory on age of Newgrange sun trap
26 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
Thanks for posting their response June , I missed it , possibly because of lack of twitter fu .

The Gibbon(s) paper is titled "The BrĂș: A Hiberno-Roman Cult Site at Newgrange?, " . Doesn't come across as quite so strident as the I.T. quotes . A read of that might help . Or maybe it's a case of the I.T. cynically exaggerating . Interestingly he conducted tours at Newgrange :walkingireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/downloadable-PDF.pdf
Wonder what he said then ?
To be fair to O' Kelly the pre-excavation images show the roof box at a height that must must be close to , if not exactly the same , post excavation height above the floor of the passage .

He gave a couple of radio interviews where he stated fairly plainly that he thought the roofbox was a fraud. He also said to me that he is basing this on a lack of photographs in the book apart from one from an overhead angle and, according to him, all the other photos and notes are locked away from the public.

He's wrong on both claims, the roofbox is visible even in antiquarian drawings, Beranger even gave it a separate sketch in his 1775 drawing of Newgrange. The O'Kelly archive has been available to the public for several years now and anyone can view it by appointment. In there are several photos of the roofbox after the cairn covering it had been removed, and again after restoration. A nice photo of it in its original state was also included in the exhibition on the excavations that was in the visitor centre for a few years.

Reply | with quote
CianMcLiam
Posted by CianMcLiam
23rd December 2016ce
14:32

Messages in this topic: