The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: Yes, it could work!
62 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
Some of the problems you cite with the balls bunching up and acting as a brake would no doubt happen but I think the same happened to an extent with the Stonehengineers' logs, which are comparable to the balls in some respects - but the net effect was that the logs (and I suspect the balls) would be helpful in toto. The secret, we decided, was pulling damn hard and then all the localised inefficiencies were overcome by the main effect. We even had logs getting stuck fast and the rest of the logs and a 15 ton stone simply sailing over them.

But then again, that "pulling hard enough" mantra makes me think balls and logs aren't necessary, you just mount the stone on two log runners with pointed ends and off you trot, flanked by lever-men each side to do a bit of adjustment, even a bit of stone rowing maybe, when the terrain gets rocky or marshy. The truth is, isn't it, whatever system you suggest they used it can be done twice as well with twice the number of people and 4 times as well with 4 times the people. Stonerowing was based on Burl saying there were only a few families available to do the job. Durrington suggests there may have been zillions available and that would cast doubt on an awful lot of the experimental archaeology on the subject up to now IMO. Who needs efficiency or cleverness if you've got a hundred rugby teams?

Personally, I think that the lateral log idea - as used in the C5 programme - still has the best chance of being used on a slope. with maybe an out-and-out tug on flatter ground. I like the sled idea, but to me, any runners being parallel to the axis of movement would fall prey to uneveness in the ground.

Balls rely too heavily on a variety of factors being coincidentally absent, whereas logs support the stone and spread the load, and employing a number of logs allows for the uneveness of the ground to be reduced. Sure, they bunch up together - especially when you get somebody trying to act like a speed bump - but they appear to reduce friction, the effects of dips and hollows, and allow easier movement from a standing start.

Peace

Pilgrim

X

Reply | with quote
Pilgrim
Posted by Pilgrim
28th November 2010ce
19:48

In reply to:

Re: Yes, it could work! (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: