The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: Ball bearings used to build Stonehenge
62 messages
Select a forum:
The Eternal wrote:
tjj wrote:

For anyone who lives in the south within travelling distance of Oxford; in the European Pre-history Room there is an interactive display whereby you can test lifting a stone with a lever. In one position it won't budge at all, in another it lifts easily.
I haven't really entered into discussions on how the massive stones at Stonehenge may have been moved - would have thought a combination of levers, ropes, rolling-logs, sledges and sheer man power. Is there any evidence of Neolithic people using wheels (they existed in the Middle East from around that time).

tjj

Is that the Ashmolean, tjj?
Also, I agree with your levers, ropes, rolling-logs, sledges, and sheer man-power.
But, the balls theory is a very good one in principle. Nowt has been found, basically meaning it is a non-starter, but a good theory in terms of the coeficient of friction, which can be applied to any condition.
However, to be realistic, the balls would have to vary in size, or be of maximum size, depending on the hardness of the ground. Smaller diameter balls will sink in soft ground. Maybe an optimum size could be produced, which would work well on all ground.
Nevertheless, some of these theoretical balls would have been found, especially in the numbers required. And in rock, not chalk, unless a chalk ball production team was constantly working round the clock.
TE.

Oops! Came in from being out and really should have straight to bed .. yes, the Ashmolean, thanks for the nudge TE.

Goffick mentioned Orkney which is an interesting connection - am convinced that people were travelling around the coast of Britain by sea to trade, so the superb building techniques of Orkney could have found their way to Wiltshire along with materials.

I've just re-read the article which I only skim read last night - linking Aberdeen to Stonehenge is new isn't it ... but why not. Apparently the scientists are going to do further experiments up there using a team of oxen ...

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
19th November 2010ce
08:03

Messages in this topic: