The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: Ball bearings used to build Stonehenge
62 messages
Select a forum:
The Eternal wrote:
goffik wrote:
Ah! I obviously skim-read it more than I thought! :D

Yeah, I think the balls they're referring to are too ornate to be functional - too precious...

I wonder if - assuming there IS any weight to the theory, the "balls" would need to be so perfectly circular or if something imperfect - like a fairly round pebble - might work on something so heavy? Come on, boffins! ;)
G x

Goffik,
I think for stone read chalk, eh? A few of those have been found, mostly buried in a context, simple ones and decorated ones, but not nearly as many as are claimed by the OP, plus chalk wouldn't last too long under that kind of stress.
Regards,
TE.

Very good point TE.

For anyone who lives in the south within travelling distance of Oxford; in the European Pre-history Room there is an interactive display whereby you can test lifting a stone with a lever. In one position it won't budge at all, in another it lifts easily.
I haven't really entered into discussions on how the massive stones at Stonehenge may have been moved - would have thought a combination of levers, ropes, rolling-logs, sledges and sheer man power. Is there any evidence of Neolithic people using wheels (they existed in the Middle East from around that time).

tjj

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
18th November 2010ce
23:12

Messages in this topic: