The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: The Story of Silbury Hill - Paperback
77 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
tjj wrote:
Sanctuary
Just want to say how enjoyable this discussion has been - and ironic as it appears neither you or Tiompan have seen the book.

That's why I asked "My understanding was that turf and topsoil was removed (to what extent I don't know , but it would be good to get an estimate ) then a small gravel mound a metre high and 10m in diameter was built , two other smaller mounds , one of which was connected to the lmain mound by a gully a few metres away may have been contemporaneous ,the mounds were added to then building stopped for a while ,mound building continued with the earlier mounds being sealed under various layers then the bank and ditch was built . Has there beeen a change to the interpretation or any dates associated with this ?"

I saw that in one of your previous posts Tiompan - which is why I enjoyed reading the exchange between yourself and S; taken out of context the sentence you have quoted sounds like a poor attempt on my behalf at sarcasm. I wasn't intended to be - rather a compliment on the depth of your knowledge without having to refer to 'the book'. I don't think anything has changed but when I get around to reading the book from start to finish, I'll do so carefully and check that point out.

For me personally, The Story of Silbury Hill is record of its history to date - it a rather well produced paperback with a wealth of illustrations and photos (including one of the blue moon over Silbury by PeteG).

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
30th October 2010ce
15:15

Messages in this topic: