The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: The Story of Silbury Hill - Paperback
77 messages
Select a forum:
Hi tjj - as we are in the business of clarification you will see that on the Silbury pages on the English Heritage is the following:

'The archaeological element of the Silbury Hill Conservation Project was managed by Fachtna McAvoy between 2000 and 13th September 2007. From the 15th of June 2007 the archaeological work was directed by Jim Leary.'

Archaeological excavation within the tunnel at Silbury began on the 6th May 2007, although there was much work on site prior to that. This archaeological and excavation work was directed by me up to the 15th June 2007.

This is wholly contrary to the statement made by Mr Leary in which he claims to have directed the excavations.

Please note the correct quotation from 'The Story of Silbury Hill' that I have used ie '... Leary directed the excavations ...' as opposed to the one that you have cited '... Leary directed excavations'.

best wishes

fachtna

tjj wrote:
fachtna wrote:
Hi - for some reason the book is less than meticulous, in fact quite the opposite, in its portrayal of the roles and responsibilities of people involved with the archaeological component of the Silbury Hill Conservation Project.

For example in the acknowledgements section (page xii) it is stated that 'Jim Leary directed the excavations in 2007 and 2008'.

This statement is simply incorrect as I 'directed' the excavations in 2007 up to my dismissal from Silbury in June that year.

I know that this might come across as hair-splitting over semantics but beneath this is a serious issue which has had very significant, adverse and unwarranted consequences for me and for my family.

I am aware that I am taking up time and space on this forum with all of this but this is one area where information can be directly exchanged and misinformation brought to people's attention.

fachtna

Hi fachtna,

What is actually written is this:-

The monument and its environs were analytically investigated, surveyed and the documentary evidence assessed by David Field in 2001, while Jim Leary directed excavations in 2007 and 2008. Various surveys, analyses and targeted excavations took place between these times, during which Niall Morrissey was Superintendent of Works. Fachtna McAvoy managed excavations between 2000 and 2007.

I can only guess at how stressful the early stages of the Silbury work must have been, in the mud and cold with many 'interested parties' scruntinising progress. In life, especially in the place of work, people sometimes get used as scapegoats on the flimsiest of evidence - I hope you and your family achieve some sort of closure on this (forgive the cliche).

with best wishes
tjj

Reply | with quote
Posted by fachtna
13th October 2010ce
13:08

Messages in this topic: