The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: The Story of Silbury Hill - Paperback
77 messages
Select a forum:
fachtna wrote:
Good afternoon tjj - a happy coincidence indeed ... and perhaps a harbinger of things to come? I look forward to getting the book from Amazon - perhaps on Monday.

Having been the archaeological manager of the Silbury Project for English Heritage for 7 years I would have hoped to have received a copy a little earlier ie from English Heritage itself, as a matter of common courtesy.

Even after all that has happened I am still slightly surprised and disappointed that none of the managers in English Heritage could bring themselves to do this.

fachtna

I'm sad to hear about the manner in which the English Heritage management team have treated you Fachtna. I hope the book itself doesn't disappoint, it looks excellent plus there are some wonderful illustrations and photographs in it. This poem is at the front ...

For a monument at Silbury Hill

This mound in some remote and dateless day
Rear’d o’er a Chieftain of the Age of Hills,
May here detain thee Traveller! from thy road
Not idly lingering. In his narrow house
Some warrior sleeps below: his gallant deeds
Haply at many a solemn festival
The Bard has harp’d, but perished is the song
Of praise, as o’er these bleak and barren downs
The wind that passes and is heard no more.
Go traveller on thy way, and contemplate
Glory’s brief pageant, and remember then
That one good turn was never wrought in vain.

Robert Southey, 1797

with best wishes

tjj (june)

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
9th October 2010ce
17:32

Messages in this topic: