The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: Is it possible to contract a geophysics survey?
50 messages
Select a forum:
Yes, all the sites I've found are vulnerable. None of the farmers I know are bothered about the stones and would rather they weren't there. But they've been indoctrinated to idealise a rectangular green strip. I've seen a long list of things being destroyed. The most shocking - a long cairn going through a crusher - I'd been badly warned previously. But it continues - the front of a long barrow in Bolton has just been pulled away, no resistance.

The three cairns, on the banks above the stone circle, at Kirkhaugh, are recognised and unphotographed. I've never seen them. The Alston Anthracite pit is near to Whitehouse - it's still worked. Lovely coal, very low ash, very hot. The most historically aware farmer, on Alston Moor N, is the one with the Roman Fort remains. He's become practised at meeting archaeologists and EH officers. It seems as though large parts of whatever was standing at Kirkhaugh was there when the romans were and that the destruction is contemporary with the turnpike. The Pennine Way, in that valley, follows the track of the Maiden Way closely, and that was an ancient track.

Reply | with quote
StoneGloves
Posted by StoneGloves
11th October 2010ce
16:48

Messages in this topic: