The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Avebury Mini Meet 19th September, 2010CE
65 messages
Select a forum:
scubi63 wrote:
Kid Calamity wrote:
Should anybody else be in the vicinity, willing to show me a round,....

If work doesn't get in the way I should be able to get over there. I am certainly no expert but would be happy to go along with you.

:o)

Scubi, judging by your photographs of Devil's Den I would say you are well qualified to show someone around the Avebury WHS.

KC, there is so much to see in just the circle what with the Cove stones and all; however, my favourite Avebury walk, was and always will be - walking down the West Kennett Avenue, through the gate at the end into the next meadow, up Waden Hill to get the best view of Silbury and the surrounding landscape then over to West Kennett Long Barrow which is amazing (even more so now that I seen other examples of chambered long barrows). You can vary the walk back by following the route of the Winterbourne stream which flows past Silbury, the path comes out by the NT carpark.

You have to cross the A4 to get to WKLB and it is a fast road. When I first visited many years ago on a daytrip from London, I naively thought it was a country road and nearly got run over.

I hope you enjoy your visit and that the weather is kind to you.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
22nd August 2010ce
22:57

Messages in this topic: