The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wildkirchli Forum Start a topic | Search
Wildkirchli
Re: Arctolatry or Bear worship
14 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
Wildkirchli is a place I hadn't heard of before; neither did I know what 'arctolatry' meant meant before I looked at the links you posted Chance. I also read your fieldnotes and have to say thanks for stimulating a line of enquiry that is proving fascinating. I miss Branwen on this forum a lot, as loved her particular take on folklore and myth and I can't imagine she would have let this go by without a comment; its a great subject for folklore discussion.

I believe there is a bear painting in the Lascaux Caves which is not a million miles from your site.

Have bookmarked a few sites (including one of your links) to read later. Also came across this one which is a different geographic area but may be of interest:
http://www.utexas.edu/courses/[...]diehtu/siida/religion/bear.htm

I do have one little question ... there is a constellation named after the bear Ursus Major, The Great Bear of which seven stars form the Big Dipper. Was wondering how this name came about?

Good stuff, turned out nice again as George would say.....

Didn't think it fitted the folklore section really as it was a bit too one sided.

Will post some similar sites soon

Reply | with quote
Chance
Posted by Chance
15th August 2010ce
21:59

Messages in this topic: