The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wildkirchli Forum Start a topic | Search
Wildkirchli
Re: Arctolatry or Bear worship
14 messages
Select a forum:
Wildkirchli is a place I hadn't heard of before; neither did I know what 'arctolatry' meant meant before I looked at the links you posted Chance. I also read your fieldnotes and have to say thanks for stimulating a line of enquiry that is proving fascinating. I miss Branwen on this forum a lot, as loved her particular take on folklore and myth and I can't imagine she would have let this go by without a comment; its a great subject for folklore discussion.

I believe there is a bear painting in the Lascaux Caves which is not a million miles from your site.

Have bookmarked a few sites (including one of your links) to read later. Also came across this one which is a different geographic area but may be of interest:
http://www.utexas.edu/courses/[...]diehtu/siida/religion/bear.htm

I do have one little question ... there is a constellation named after the bear Ursus Major, The Great Bear of which seven stars form the Big Dipper. Was wondering how this name came about?

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
15th August 2010ce
20:17

In reply to:

Arctolatry or Bear worship (Chance)

Messages in this topic: