The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: In defence of maps
71 messages
Select a forum:
[quote="tiompan
Most people with a GPS have a mobile phone (not me ) and that has saved more time than anything in mountain rescues . It's down to lack of ability in the individual ,hill walking forums are full of examples ," I set of with map compass and gps ,an understanding how to use them and still got lost/benighted ". Mountain rescue teams have concerns about expectations with a gps but use them themselves . I have never used one while hillwalking although it's always in the rucksack in case of RA finds ,but I did use it once in Argyll when totally lost whilst "pine surfing " fortunately it worked despite the cover and I managed to get into the light a lot quicker , a map and compass would have been useless . Regardless of what technology we have or how reliant it may be on an energy source to work , compasses and maps need energy from the sun , at least , and possibly a portable energy source torch etc if it's dark . it's down to the individual whether they can do the business on the hill which includes realising mistakes can be made whether it's a bad choice of route or equipment , not reading the weather i.e. sudden drop in temperature means that what was earlier damp snow is now ice and all you have is vibram soled boots and if it's relatively level terrain kicking steps is out , a gps or map is useless when it's crampons that you should have had . Don't trust a gps like you wouldn't trust a compass in some situations e.g. gabbro and maps , all it needs is a fall of 3 metres over a wee cliff , and that is never going to show up on a map .They have improved but the nw highlands in particualr had some major OS omissions .[/quote]

Tiompan,
Once again I agree, but the human errors above remain the same with GPS or map, whether on the Cuillin ridge, or on Helvellyn I do understand the complexity of navigating by map on the knife-edges of Skye, as you rightly point out - it must be a nightmare having a forced descent, with a map or a GPS, through the complexity of crags.
My point is that at least with a map you can rely on your own judgement, and, if you know you can use a map and compass, have a bit more confidence in the information you interpret, rather that having to accept that what the technology is telling you is accurate, which has been proven to be inaccurate on occasion.
Regards,
TE.

Reply | with quote
The Eternal
Posted by The Eternal
6th August 2010ce
22:23

In reply to:

Re: In defence of maps (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: In defence of maps (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: