The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: In defence of maps
71 messages
Select a forum:
Rhiannon wrote:
That is nice. Though the day I get an iphone.. .hmm but the 3D landscape thing is jolly good.

One of the nice things about a map though is that you can see where you are amongst all the other things. You can't do that on a little screen or 'getamap' or any of these other things.

I know. I know. Get witht he 21st century Rhiannon.

Yes, Rhiannon, but with a gadget you can enjoy the novelty of getting lost, or thinking you're somewhere you're not....

http://www.lamrt.org.uk/incidents/2010/incident/13

And from the Wasdale MRT website:-
"2010:06 5/12/09 (5.23 p.m.) - Saturday
'999' mobile call from a group walkers who were lost somewhere on Scafell Pike. They had provided a GPS position in latitude and longitude which, when converted to a normal grid reference put them in Carnforth. Another call came into the police from an informant from Wasdale Head hotel who was concerned over this same group. The team leader interviewed this informant and they were last seen making their way up Broad Crag scree in worsening weather. The Team Leader decided to hold off calling the team out until 8.00 p.m. - the weather conditions were poor with low cloud and driving rain. The group also only had one torch between 8 of them. At 7.55 pm a call came in from Boot in Eskdale to say that the group were now down safe and well. The team were stood down from standby state. Counted as an incident as team members did roll with a vehicle to interview the informant."
http://www.wasdale-mountain-rescue.org.uk/callouts~2010.htm

You're right about maps, you. And about the 21st Century. Long live the Luddites.
Regards,
TE.

Reply | with quote
The Eternal
Posted by The Eternal
4th August 2010ce
22:14

In reply to:

Re: In defence of maps (Rhiannon)

1 reply:

Re: In defence of maps (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: