The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: In defence of maps
71 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:
Maps, those marvellous enormous sheets of information that you can spread out, for those of us who are technically simple-minded, a map can take you on a mind journey that a garmin can't do! Contours, hills, mountains, rivers and brooks, small lanes to get lost down..they crinkle with anticipation of the journey ahead, they become worn and fall apart but you never get rid of them because the new map will become slightly different and drop off a favourite tumulus.
Hate google earth as well, it is the most reductionist unaesthetic view of our earth that is possible, it reduces everything to vague scrawled blots..

thought I'd add some points in favour of maps ;)

I am in total agreement with you on maps, I not only use them to navigate round desolate natural parks but also through our busiest cities.

But I just cant take any knocks on google earth, i think its fantastic, I sometimes spend a whole afternoon going from OS map in my hand to OS map on Coflein and cross referencing on GE, theres really no excuse for not finding what your looking for (unless its grassed over in which case you'll need a Tiompan) Sure some places arent in good detail yet and the last time I looked at Orkney it was all clouded over, but for example: I was looking at Coldrum longbarrow Ive never been there and i dont have the map but I could clearly see the stones in the back yard and street view enabled me to look over the hedge and see the stones poking over the next hedge, After finding a model shop in Bristol I fed the adress into GE and streetviewed through the shop window, no map can do that.
Go for a streetview before you go somewhere and when you actually get there its like deja vu, though you really have seen it already.

Reply | with quote
postman
Posted by postman
4th August 2010ce
18:11

In reply to:

In defence of maps (moss)

Messages in this topic: