The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Rock art. so what's that all about then. ?
118 messages
Select a forum:
Dunno bout anyone else but I like a bit of the 'shamanic' explanation.

Not that there is any way to prove this of course and it's probably bollox (I just like the idea!) but the precedence set by current neolithic/bronze age style tribal cultures which anthropologists have studied makes sense to me. The whole chanting/drumming/hallucenegic altered states at rock faces, when people are trying to make sense of the landscape around them when it's likely spirits and ancestors were a very real part of their world.

Saw this link posted on TMA on the Badger stone site which I found very intersting. It suggests that the symbols could represent the surrounding landscape, not the physical one but a psychological landscape in peoples minds. Plus the guy takes hallucenegenic drugs and does a bit of chanting and the rock morphs into the Lewis-Williams style shapes of the internal mind which they may have tried to represenmt on the rock face. All good stuff and well written!

http://dreamflesh.com/essays/rockpsych/

Reply | with quote
Posted by Gwass
21st July 2010ce
20:14

Messages in this topic: