The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: hmmm.
194 messages
Select a forum:
Mustard wrote:
moss wrote:
Mustard wrote:
[But not everyone appreciates the consequences of their actions. I imagine that it's simply never occurred to many people that a bloody great big hill like Silbury is actually suffering from structural problems. Sure, I imagine there's a few selfish people who would just climb it regardless, but it's not a good idea to assume that everyone is that way inclined. I've had friendly chats with people in the past who I've seen behaving in inappropriate ways, and often, they've not understood why their behaviour was a problem until it's been explained reasonably to them. I find it often helps to look for the best in people rather than assuming that you'll find the worst.

An argument that goes on for ever! Surely a large sign at the bottom of Silbury and a fence round it tells people that this hill is not for climbing should suffice.
Its impossible for you or anyone else to stand guard under Silbury having friendly chats with people saying 'please do not climb'. But perfectly logical to expect people not to climb with a well worded permanent sign that tells them NOT to.....

I agree. I haven't seen the placement of the signs, so I don't know if they're visible to everyone approaching the hill. If they are, then absolutely... if you've been made aware of the potential for damage to the monument, then you have little excuse.

You'd have to have pretty bad eyesight to miss the signs, they're all around the base.

Reply | with quote
megadread
Posted by megadread
20th July 2010ce
17:23

In reply to:

Re: hmmm. (Mustard)

Messages in this topic: