The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Grrr...
194 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
goffik wrote:

Not really. I don't understand the mentality of the desire to climb things. Is it because you're not supposed to? Is it like sticking 2 fingers up at the guardians of the site that request that you don't do it? A sort of "Hey, man - these things belong to *all* of us, therefore I'm going to help myself!"?

G x

I guess for a lot of people it's to get a view from the top of Silbury Goff, myself included. When you research and wonder why something was built, like Silbury for instance, you feel it may help that research by climbing to the top to see what it was that may have encouraged the builders to build it in that location. Nobody seems to say anything when archo's climb to the top or when camera crews scale it with all their equipment to make TV documentaries so why not interested people? I think we all take your point exactly about mass invasion of the hill but it's unlikely to happen unless they decide one day to open up a Tesco on the top and take over the car park...now there's a thought!!

That's why i climbed it, and who's to say it wasn't meant to be climbed anyway. ?
Yeah i understand that if everyone who visited it climbed it there would be damage done so i don't personally encourage people to climb it but i wont "go on one" with people who chosse to do so.

Climbing on stones is another matter, i doubt stonehenge was meant to be climbed.

Reply | with quote
megadread
Posted by megadread
19th July 2010ce
18:00

In reply to:

Re: Grrr... (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: