The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Roaming on the right side.
66 messages
Select a forum:
Megalithics wrote:
Howburn Digger wrote:
I suppose living under such an oppressive system down South, our freedom to roam and go where we please up here in Scotland must seem a bit unreal and unbelievable.

Careful who you call a southerner.

Years ago we were staying in Kirkudbright photographing the circles in the region, of an evening we frequented a local watering hole and the landlord there used to taunt us (in a friendly way) about being sassenachs and southerners. On our last night there we said to him "Well, we're off up north home tomorrow". "North? you mean south" he said. "No" we replied, "we checked the map yesterday and where we live on Tyneside is actually 15km north of here, so you see to us, you're a bunch of southerners".
He was livid.

Maggie & Keith

Of course I never called anyone "a southerner".

In my response to your OP I referred of course to our "southern neighbours" and the lack of basic freedoms (the right to roam) which leaves them not quite believing such rights can actually exist and posing such questions as "Is this right to roam stuff valid in practice?".

Those "southern neighbours" are the ones who live South of Scotland's Border with England. There they exist under a regime which denies them the basic right referred to, which we in Scotland so enjoy (ie. the right to roam).

I understand some of those "southern neighbours" live in the North of England. I have passed through this area on various forays and have always found it to be South of the Border. North of that Border is of course in Scotland.

Right to Roam? The obvious do's and dont's apply. Do be courteous and friendly, farmers love to spend the time of day and will pass on short cuts, livestock/ bulls in fields to avoid etc.
Obvious dont's include dont walk in front of deer hunters guns, dont take a dump on people's lawns etc.

It is pretty straightforward. Come up and fill yer boots!

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
16th June 2010ce
18:14

In reply to:

Re: Roaming on the right side. (Megalithics)

1 reply:

Re: Roaming on the right side. (Megalithics)

Messages in this topic: