The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: sounds interesting
68 messages
Select a forum:
The Jersey Minx wrote:
tiompan wrote:
The Jersey Minx wrote:
Tiompan, it would seem that you may have slightly misunderstood what I was saying. At no stage did I intend to suggest that the claimed Earth Figure was meant to be viewed from the air or even designed from the air.
Oh and something that quite took me by surprise is that he doesn’t see the WKLB as being part of the Figure because he says it preceded it and in due course replaced it in the mindset of the people as part of a new Afterlife belief. .

Hi Jersey .Minx . My comments were based on " the combined structures and natural features as seen from above " .
There is little option to see WKLB as preceding the other monuments if we accept the current understanding re. RC dating .
What about [/b]Overton Hill[/b] ? by far the biggest component in the design yet having no explanation .

I've already made mention of the Sanctuary as part of the Earth Figure Tiompan and that is on Overton Hill. He majors on it in fact as he believes the journey into the Afterlife may well have started there and of course explains why. He sees the Sanctuary as the 'gathering hand' of the Earth Figure and its connection with the Ridgeway Path is quite something. Most interesting.

Sorry I keep referring to Overton Hill when I mean Waden Hill .Waden is the biggest component in the landscape ,the Sanctuary is tiny in comaprison .If the Sanctuary is a hand then in scale Overton Hill would be a temple full of goddesses .
The two inner circles of the henge could provide a very squint pair of eyes and the obelisk a fine nose . Apart from that ,where are the other bits that make up a female figure ? like legs and feet .One way out it to suggest it is based on a figurine , they often have extremities missing but they do tend to have breasts which are also missing and very important .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
19th April 2010ce
16:12

In reply to:

Re: sounds interesting (The Jersey Minx)

2 replies:

Re: sounds interesting (Sanctuary)
Re: sounds interesting (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: