The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Carreg Samson Forum Start a topic | Search
Carreg Samson
Re: Carreg Samson
13 messages
Select a forum:
StoneGloves wrote:
Yes, it's now on the front page - or it can be found as the only interpretative image on the Kirkhaugh Complex page. The GoogleEarth coordinates are 54"49'56.90"N 2"27'54.26"W. I've used double quotes again for the degree sign and I think it looks better as a raw image, on screen, than my processed version. The stones are set into a very low bank and there's clearly an entranceway on the northwestern long side. There is a hint of an external ditch but it is nothing more than dampness retained after rain. The farmer attacked it with a digger, once, and lifted out a stone. I put it back but it was heavy and I didn't have much time!

It certainly looks like an enclosure and has a similar shape to a Long mortuary enclosure but imho I doubt it is one . I can't think of one that is defined by stones ,it's usually a ditch or wooden palisade and there is often a barrow either very close or part of the monument .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
3rd April 2010ce
21:39

In reply to:

Re: Carreg Samson (StoneGloves)

Messages in this topic: