The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Orkney Trip
46 messages
Select a forum:
CARL wrote:
Just to add to the thread. I am planning to go to the Orkneys in early July this year. We are driving up the west coast of Scotland (via overnight stops at Helensburgh / Invergary / Ullapool and Thurso. Then 7 nights in Stromness before returning to South Wales down the east coast of Scotland (stopping off at Helmsdale / Inverness and again at Helensburgh). Needless to say my itinery is chock-a-block with a full 16 days of 'old stones ' and 'old castles' planned. I plan to have 1 day on Rousay and 1 day on Hoy - 5 days on Mainland Orkney. This is my 'once in a lifetime' holiday so I am enjoing reading all your experiences of previous visits to the Orkneys. I plan to give an updat on my return. It may take some time to write!! Best wishes to all who read this.

CARL your trip sounds well planned and can only be Fabulous - I fulfilled a long held ambition to visit Orkney and Shetland last summer. I will definitely be going back to Orkney, perhaps next year. The ferry trip from Thurso gives a wonderful view of Old Man of Hoy - it was misty and chilly the morning I went but by late morning the mist lifted and Orkney turned into a shining, magical island - perhaps I was just lucky.
I look forward to reading the account of your trip.

BuckyE, my second favourite sweater is slate grey, hand knitted on Aran (off the west coast of Ireland) bought in Kinsale, near Cork a few years back and worn almost every day during our cold winter this year.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
24th March 2010ce
16:42

In reply to:

Re: Orkney Trip (CARL)

Messages in this topic: