The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Orkney Trip
46 messages
Select a forum:
My friend and I spent a couple of weeks on Orkney three years ago. Unfortunately we didn't get to travel around the islands like we'd intended to as the dog fell ill - on the plus side, the vet in Kirkwall successfully diagnosed the problem with his heart, and put him on the medication which is still keeping him going. :-)

The journey was actually pretty straightforward. I drove up from Lancashire to Perth, stopped there overnight, then carried on up to Scrabster the following day, with stops at the Grey Cairns of Camster and the Hill o' Many Stanes en route. While I was trundling up the A9, Louise got the first ferry out of Stornoway to Ullapool, and drove round to meet me at Scrabster. A quick transfer of kit from my van to her car, and we caught the last NorthLink ferry of the day to Stromness.

Coming back, we got the first ferry out of Stromness, and while Louise headed back round to Ullapool and the last boat to Stornoway, I retraced my steps to Perth for another overnight stop, then back down to Lancashire the next day via the Loupin' Stanes and the Girdle Stanes.

Even with all the dog-related upset, we still had a great trip and managed to take in pretty much all the Mainland sites, and get over to Rousay. Would definitely love to go back sometime.

Reply | with quote
1speed
Posted by 1speed
16th February 2010ce
14:32

In reply to:

Orkney Trip (sleeptowin)

Messages in this topic: