The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: The Archaeology of a Monumental Mound
35 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
Yep the whole animism caboodle has stones as having souls but specifically the souls of the ancestors is I believe less common than other suggestions i.e dancers , maidens , fiddlers.

Animism didn't even come into it for me; hadn't thought of their perspective. Probably had my head stuck in old scottish folklore for too long.

Haven't come across this in english folklore, but I read less of that but I find it the other way round in my experience. i.e. The customs and folklore about the soul stones has is older and has become more obscure (surviving in books up until about the 1850's, but mention of them mostly died out after that). The transformed dancer or fiddler stories have survived, but clearly in revised forms when you look at the elements of the stories.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Branwen
30th January 2010ce
23:07

Messages in this topic: