The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Wild life sightings at ancient sites
93 messages
Select a forum:
The Eternal wrote:
tjj,

Amongst more unusual stuff;
Warton Crag, Lancashire: adder.
High Raise cairn, Cumbria: Golden Eagle, red deer, and wild fell horses as black as night.

At most places in Cumbria there is the acrobat of the skies, the raven, my favourite. The way they command the sky, even in a gale has to be sen to be believed, and they move with so little effort. Also, ground-nesting birds, the larks singing in the sky, the Herdwick sheep, and the occasional fox, and a buzzard or two.

Wonderful to see, and thanks for an interesting post, with regards,
TE.

Many thaks TE, (I have just been looking at some of Bian Kerr's superb photographs of Cumbria).
Ravens are almost mystical to see, I watched a pair of ravens glide onto the cliff crags while walking the Pembrokeshire coastal path last autumn. Probably the first time I had seen them in the wild - no ancient sites nearby though.

Hob, thanks for your mention of badgers at Ketley Crag ... I think maybe someone should start a thread about them. We hardly ever see them (except dead) but they have such an impact on some ancient sites. There are a few long barrows around north Wiltshire that have become the home to badgers. Am thinking specifically of East Kennet Long Barrow (not sure if the sets are recent) and the small barrow near Liddington Hill.
Though, having said that I am not suggesting they shouldn't be there.

tjj

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
24th January 2010ce
12:07

Messages in this topic: