The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Stonehenge Cursus Forum Start a topic | Search
The Stonehenge Cursus
Re: Stonehenge Cursus .
15 messages
Select a forum:
Chance wrote:
tiompan wrote:
This is getting more interesting , decided to see if the Stonehenge cursus might also be aligned on a similar event to WKLB .The cursus is aligned 2 degrees further north but due to being further south and a slightly different horizon it would ahae had the same visual display as WKLB on the same evening . What is really intriguing is that last year once again we had very good dates for the building of the cursus , 3630-3670 cal BC and WKLB was 3640 . So both monumnets could ahve been founded on that event .

A couple of observations.

Do you think it's a coincidence that both WKLB and The Stonehenge Greater Cursus, both form an alignment to a timber structure, the former being The Sanctuary, the latter, Woodhenge?

Does The Stonehenge Greater Cursus follow the same alignment as the A303 from Stonehenge bottom to the Long Barrow Crossroads?

I won't attempt to answer the part of your post concerning Stonehenge as there are people here far more knowledgeable than me but I was interested in your observation about the Sanctuary - which forms the terminus to the West Kennet Avenue. West Kennet Long Barrow was thought to have been constructed between 3700bc and 3600bc whilst the other monuments around Avebury (except EKLB) were built around 2400bc so more than a millennium passed in between - and WKLB was closed up around the same time (2200bc). To me it seems that WKLB was not considered when Silbury, the Avebury stone circle and the avenues were being built.

I am more than happy to have this contradicted however ... discuss, discuss.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
13th January 2010ce
10:53

In reply to:

Re: Stonehenge Cursus . (Chance)

1 reply:

Re: Stonehenge Cursus . (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: