The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   West Kennett Forum Start a topic | Search
West Kennett
Re: West kennet Long Barrow Moon
10 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
StoneGloves wrote:
It doesn't really matter whether these so-called alignments are actually visible or not, as they were intended to invoke symbolic magic. There has to be a once in a hundred year, say, combination of circumstance for them to have extra magic. In fact, the only relevance the alignments have know is in predicting where lost monuments may be sited (somewhere down that line eg).

I agree to an extent . Our culture priveleges the visual .Observation would be necessary to work out the alignment after that is it really a case of punters lining up to see if the bloke with the hat got it right, ooing and ahhing "look thats bonny " "cloudy again " " move out the way pal I can't see " "my eyes hurt " etc .If the passge grave was blocked , as is often the case why posit a living audience , the same applies to the rock art . Open air monumnets are obviously different but the same may apply there , it's not an event necessarily to be observed , if the event was imporatant in the first place .

It'd have to be a pointy hat :-)

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
6th January 2010ce
19:34

In reply to:

Re: West kennet Long Barrow Moon (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: