The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Cockpit Forum Start a topic | Search
The Cockpit
Re: a day out
5 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Bobpc,
I went there for the first time last June with some of the TMA crew. Although I didn't have a clue where we were going, I believe we parked on the track leading Westward out of Helton. The track is sold (it may have been mettled) and there was a reasonable good 'off-track' parking area Just to the south-east of The Cop stone. From here you can you can take in the many cairns on Moor Divock on the way to the Cockpit stone circle.

:o)

Scubi[/quote]

Hi Bob,

Park up by the Cop Stone as Scubi advises.
There's lots to see on Moor Divock so that should keep you busy for a couple of hours.
If you go via the A6 it's worth checking out the Long Cairn at Low Moor, it's right beside the Lowther turn-off.
If you're intending walking into the fells, even relatively low ones, I'd advise you take your map, a compass and dress prepared for weather.

cheers
fitz[/quote]

cheers for that chaps.

I have my map beside me and looking at google earth. Cars are parked near the cop stone. only thing stopping me is the weather.
I have map, compass, boots, walking socks, water proofs ect.
I intend to spend two and a half to three and a half hours up there.
I fancy stopping off at low moor to see the cairn. it has always bothered me that the cairns up here are not quiet wayland smithy, dunchraigaig or west kennett. Obviously man power has a lot to do with this.
There is something like that at barningham moor. any know if that is a cairn?

Reply | with quote
bobpc
Posted by bobpc
1st December 2009ce
11:26

In reply to:

Re: a day out (fitzcoraldo)

Messages in this topic: