The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Stan Beckensall's New Rock Art Book
20 messages
Select a forum:
Ah now that's the spirit :)

Now this sounds like the right room for an argument. (I've told you once.. . Nah, but a nice informed discussion wouldn't go amiss.

Howay then Alfrede, Where's the evidence for a link between Shamanism and CnR style RA? Bahn might be a bit dogmatic in his approach, but he did make some valid points when he pointed out that the stuff in caves bears very little relationship to the CnR tradition, and that the 3-stage model was primarily designed to try and explain cave paintings.

Actually, now I think about it, am I putting words into Bahn's mouth here, did he actually draw the distinction between the 3 stage model of trance and CnRs at all?

I find the whole thing very interesting. It's a shame the discussion got mired in academic slanging matches, but from what I gather, that's maybe just part of the coming of age process for an archeological sub-discipline ;) Thanks heavens for internet forums, where lucky amateurs can waffle on about slightly loopy ideas and not have to worry about what their boss will say.

Reply | with quote
Hob
Posted by Hob
6th December 2009ce
20:09

Messages in this topic: