The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Stan Beckensall's New Rock Art Book
20 messages
Select a forum:
rockartuk wrote:
Coincidently, this afternoon my copy arrived on this side of the pond.
I was pleasantly surprised by the many photographs in the book.
Found the Appendix VIII; "Shamanism, a dead end in Rock-Art Studies" by Dr Paul Bahn a very interesting and convincing read.

Sounds like a broken record!
Bahn lost a lot of credibility a few years back with his pendantic arguing over this topic. I seem to recall a heated 'debate' with chippindale which decended into farce and so chippindale wisely brought it to a close. Bahn was reduced to having to privately publish his responses, as no journal would take them.

With the wealth of rock art research over the last 20 years or so, its pretty clear to most people who have studied the subject in any depth that a large percentage of the worlds rock art derives from cultures with a shamanistic world view - even if not all of it is actually made by a shaman.
From what i have seen over the years, British archaeology is generally lagging behind current thinking by at least a decade, so you could say Bahn is 'typically british'.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Alfrede
6th December 2009ce
19:57

Messages in this topic: