The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Roseberry Topping Forum Start a topic | Search
Roseberry Topping
Re: Odin's Glow
23 messages
Select a forum:
Hi again,

At this present moment, that was indeed its only outing as it was specifically commissioned for this event. As my pieces tend to be site specific or connected to specific arts events, they usually do only get one outing. I've been doing pieces for some time now and am about to create my own website which I hope will have links for people to hear the pieces I have done. I plan to create a stereo mix of the piece (as in situ it was using surround sound techniques which won't translate well to standard computers) and upload it so it can be heard online - not quite the same thing of course, but it keeps it alive.

My current aim is making sure that my volunteer 'speakers' for the piece get to experience something of it for themselves at the moment as unfortunately they weren't able to attend, being from other areas of the country. All 10 of them were absolutely wonderful folk to work with. The piece used 7 different languages though had its strongest focus on Old Norse and modern English (the Old English got a smaller outing but a powerful one nonetheless) and a lot of tea, cake and patience were required! Making and researching it was a fascinating process for me and to take that to people for whom it is part of their modern cultural heritage to different degrees was interesting for everybody I think. None of the people that featured in the piece were professional performers, they all came from a variety of backgrounds and a mix of nationalities and were really enthusiastic about it. The hours I spent with the Edda, Beowulf, the instruments and music was like diving into a very deep ocean.

I would love to get "Contours" out the box again. You never know!

K

Reply | with quote
Posted by kitandcaboodle
1st November 2009ce
13:35

In reply to:

Re: Odin's Glow (fitzcoraldo)

Messages in this topic: