The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Arthur's Seat Forum Start a topic | Search
Arthur's Seat
Re: Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh: The Slidey Stone
68 messages
Select a forum:
That bear shoulder hump feature of the peak at Arthur's Seat seems to be a common fetaure on many mountains, Tiompan. Ruber's Law in the borders where I grew up was the same. I guess it's a geological feature of volcanic peaks worn down by glaciers into crag and tail shapes.

Folklore would suggest older peoples had a mindset seeing shapes in the landscape more obviously than people more distant from nature do today.

Arthur's Seat used to be surrounded by the Drumseuch Forest, I'm not sure if it covered the whole hill or if the soil has always been so thin it can't support trees. With the deeper and longer Duddingston Loch, and the boggy mere lands before better drainage all around, it must have risen out of the landscape like an island. Salisbury Crags does sound as if it could have been tree-covered looking at the etymology, though. All in all, I dunno if the bear shape would have been that obvious in past times, but once again, I like the elegance of Art meaning Bear and Arthur's Seat being a Bear Hill.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Branwen
12th December 2009ce
13:53

Messages in this topic: