The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Arthur's Seat Forum Start a topic | Search
Arthur's Seat
Re: Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh: The Slidey Stone
68 messages
Select a forum:
Caesar - "All the British color themselves with glass, which produces a blue color."

"Vitro" translates to a type of blue-green glass that was popular among the Romans, it does not translate to woad. Most authors accepted it as woad though, as woad was used to dye cloth blue at that time.

The only other evidence given is Pliny the Elder's discussion of women's funeral rites that involve using a "Glastum" a "plantain-like" plant to paint themselves to look "like Ethiopians." Also assumed incorrectly to be woade.

Blue/Green was the Celtic colour "Glas" too. So creative translating puts woade in the frame for ancient blue body paint, but it isnt good for that. They probably used copper or iron pigments, which accords with what I know of them having "hot iron" blue tattoos.

Full story as I found it here:
http://www.cyberpict.net/sgathan/essays/woad.htm

OK very late here, going to try and find my bed. Hope that keeps ya going Dodge. Night

Reply | with quote
Posted by Branwen
10th December 2009ce
02:21

Messages in this topic: