The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Arthur's Seat Forum Start a topic | Search
Arthur's Seat
Re: Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh: The Slidey Stone
68 messages
Select a forum:
I added some debateable storytellers stuff about the hill itself, Martin, and was worried you might think I was correcting your etymology, which in some respects, I suppose I was, LOL. Hence the being worried you'de be ticked off.

I've now added what I know on the wells of wearie to the Arthur's Seat site too. I need to add a footnote to it though, as it appears in 1800 people in Duddingston used to call the Devil "Old Weary". Not sure how it fits, but if you read what I added to the folklore on the Wearie Wells you will see how its connected to the afterlife. It's just marshy land now, but orginally it was a spring with at least a couple of pools. If you are on the queen's drive looking down from above, and can see the tunnel which goes under the innocent railway cycle path, that is where old maps list it as being. Just beyond, on the far (golf course) side, and the water came under the tunnel and wended it's way toward the loch.

I have nicer pics of the delf well, but from the same angle, its a bit disappointing to say the least. Though, it was reputed to have the clearest, purest water in the Lothians when it was Duddingston's main water supply, which I remember reading when I was looking up the Sheep Heid Inn origins. Oh yeah, I did read that the biggest hawthorn tree in Scotland used to be close to the Delf Well, but it was blown down in the storms of 1840 or 1844, I forget which. The well was obviously above the level of the loch even when it was higher, at least, if it was the village water supply, so it must be fairly old.

The twentypenny well is most likely modern, as it's very close to the edge of the loch.

BTW Martin, its a long shot, but you aren't the guy that jogs at 630am in the morning through the park, who stopped me as I cycled past to ask about folklore (for no apparant reason as far as I could tell, I dont do the whole tartan look going to my job as a guide, so I figured he was just someone passionate about the park who accidentally "hit the jackppot" in stopping me, as he said).

Reply | with quote
Posted by Branwen
6th October 2009ce
19:13

Messages in this topic: