The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Arthur's Seat Forum Start a topic | Search
Arthur's Seat
Re: Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh: The Slidey Stone
68 messages
Select a forum:
Oooh Martin, you're the one that listed all the Edinburgh sites. Hope you don't mind me adding bits to the Arthur's Seat ones, it's my favourite bit of the city. If they are superfluous I'm sure the site manager will remove them.

There's a link to how to find the slidey stone on the pages that had the picture above, Martin. http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_[...]_deans_cottage.htm#8_tam_croal
You have to scroll down to Answer number 9 though. It's become well and truly grown over since the 1950's as well. Even the park rangers had to go digging when asked, and it sounds like the kids had lots of slidey stones from what you are saying about Hunter's Bog now, too. I have that booklet, and am awaiting an old out of print victorian guide from a friend relating to Arthur's Seat which might help me out with folklore from there in general. Any info on the big boulder ( http://www.ancient-stones.co.uk/lothian/011/019/details.htm seen here) at Dunsapie called the Witch Stone, Martin? It looks nothing like the one that was destroyed; no slide. Sorry to be a pest... LOL

BTW. Following links within that last page, I saw the person that wrote that the slidey stone looks like a piece of the blown up witchstone to him too, so it isn't just me.

I'm told the one that was blown up in Holyrood park was near the cairn of stones at the roundabout just past St Margaret's Loch, so way off from the slidey stone the kids played on, and unlikely to be a piece of it left behind. Tuesday I can have a look in the national archives I guess.

One I haven't found yet is at Murthly in Perth, too. I think it's a slidey one as well, from the allusions to it elsewhere.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Branwen
3rd October 2009ce
05:04

Messages in this topic: