The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Arthur's Seat Forum Start a topic | Search
Arthur's Seat
Re: Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh: The Slidey Stone
68 messages
Select a forum:
I thought the jagged edges might have been from moving the stone, as a lot of them have been broken and moved over a long period of time. Or maybe be some aspect of volcanic rock. I did say I was no expert on the stones themselves... LOL.

The folklore about the witchstone at Ratho says something similar about fertility (the one with the cupmarks that was destroyed) Who was the first person that said "if you slide down that you will get pregnant" I wonder? And was it smooth when they started, or did it just get that way over time and was rough to begin with? Ouch. Wouldn't have wanted to be the first one to try it, anyhow...

The large "witch" stone boulder overlooking Dunsapie hasn't brought up any folklore online so far either, probably a trip to the national archive and the resources on their computers for me. Or else its a modern name.

Someone has emailed me a sketch they had saved from Canmore/RCHAMS of the Edinburgh stone now, it is similar to the Ratho stone but more like a cromlech that has collapsed. I guess the picture is in copyright maybe. The whole thing was blown up in victorian times it seems.

"A similar practice (to the one at the witch stone in Ratho) took place a few miles away in the kings Park, Edinburgh, which was the site of a large recumbent stone along which barren women slid in the hope that it would help them to conceive a child."

Few other interesting witch stones on the TMA site to keep me happy till I can get to the national archives and their resources, anyway.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Branwen
1st October 2009ce
14:16

Messages in this topic: