The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   White Cow Forum Start a topic | Search
White Cow
Re: Is it a white cow when you're not looking?
55 messages
Select a forum:
I was thinking of the Highlands, I suppose, as that is where a great many of the books on folklore relate to, what with the interest generated at various times in Highland culture and the book writing that went with that. I think where a person took the time to learn the language of the Highlands when writing about folklore, it shows a love of the place not captured by those folklorists who just collected translations. Then there are the native religious types that collected and preserved folklore intact, like the Rev John Gregorson Campbell, writing about his own native land.

My favourite nutty religious type is a McLean who was famous for chasing the people out of his competitors church and into his own with a big yellow stick.

When I take tour groups up into the Highlands, the weird thing is coming round a dangerous bend where you know there have been accidents, at Lagan, to see a little sign nailed onto a tree saying "Prepare to meet thy maker". They read your mind too, cos a mile further on while you are still muttering about that, there is another sign saying "God will not be mocked".

Reply | with quote
Posted by Branwen
8th September 2009ce
11:28

Messages in this topic: