The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   White Cow Forum Start a topic | Search
White Cow
Re: Is it a white cow when you're not looking?
55 messages
Select a forum:
I've heard the same sermon story in several places, with regards to holey stones being removed from wells or other places and held up before congregations to be smashed to show people their idolatry of stones was false. Seemed to be a common way to turn people from pagan based customs.

Ministers up here seemed to be in two camps, those that preserved folklore with no bias, and those that blasted it. Usually the preservers were the gaelic speakers, I've noticed.

I particularly like "Highland Superstitions Connected With the Druids" by the Rev. Alexander Macgregor which is full of phrases like:-

"women were more frequently the victims of these superstitious cruelties than the men. Young, innocent, beautiful maidens were dragged to the stone altars, and were even sacrificed to the powers above in some cases".

Giving his mind a treat, or what? I'm pretty sure ancient writers didn't say anything about beautiful maidens being more worthy sacrifices.

The rest of the book is no better, and full of clap trap, but it makes me laugh. Reading between the lines actually gives an insight into the very Highland customs this author sought to denigrate. For instance, he states Highlanders are stupid because they frequently call God by the name Arch Druid. A mistake brought about by translating the Gaelic for the head of the Druid Order as "Arch-Druid" because that equates with the head of the church, the "Arch-Bishop". In fact, the Scottish Gaelic for the head of the Druid Order of Scotland is translateable as "Gentle Protector". As such, it is also used as a title for The Creator. So even the silly books have value, and not just for the laughs.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Branwen
7th September 2009ce
14:20

Messages in this topic: