The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Coate Stone Circle Forum Start a topic | Search
Coate Stone Circle
Re: Coate land saved ... for now!
10 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Hi June,

What's the latest on Coate now? The last TMA news item was March 2012 and didn't sound like good news at all.

tsc

Hi tsc, seeing this pop up was a surprise.
The developers won in the end: http://www.themodernantiquaria[...]105743/coate_stone_circle.html

I found out just last week that Mark Corney is the 'appointed expert' employed by the developers to look at the archaeological issues around the stone circle. I understand his view is that further investigations need to be undertaken. The developers have committed to protect the stone circle and leave a buffer zone between Coate Country Park and the development - but who would trust them.

If anyone is interested:
Maria Wheatley is giving a talk at the Central Library in Swindon in the evening of 4th April at 7.00pm "about the Coate Stone Circle and what it meant to our ancestors, how they were aligned to the heavens and why they were constructed here in Swindon" (that's the information as it was given to me - there are other 'lost' circles in the area, the M4 being built across one of them).

Also on Saturday 5th April 2014 in the Lambourne Room, Holiday Inn, Coate, 10:00am – 4:00pm there will be a programme of talks and videos focussed upon the Coate area, “Jefferies Land”, the history of the Country Park and Canal.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
6th February 2014ce
09:20

In reply to:

Re: Coate land saved ... for now! (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: