The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: When was the first time you visited Avebury?
30 messages
Select a forum:
Ahhh yes, I remember it well. But then, I should do as it was only last year!

Mark sat me down about 3 months before my 40th birthday and told me he had 3 ideas for ways to celebrate. 1) 2 weeks in Barbados staying at a friend's house 2) a long weekend in Dorset with a meal at River Cottage or 3) a trip to Silbury. It took me about 0.5 seconds to shout "Silbury"

We stayed in East Kennet and booked an out of hours at Stonehenge on the eve of my birthday. We drove down from Lancashire and my first site of Avebury was as we drove through to get to E Kennet. Mark was driving and as we approached and I saw the first mighty stone, I just burst into tears! Not silly, sobbing, girly tears but just through sheer emotion as the enormity of the stones hit me.

We spent 3 days there and after the OOHs tour at Stonehenge the night before my birthday, we woke up on the day itself only to find a lovely dusting on snow everywhere. We walked from EK along the Avenue to Avebury at 9am and it was quiet and peaceful but BLOODY FREEZING! The snow was melting on the henge as we walked around and it was just wonderful. 2 days earlier when we had walked from EK to WKLB and Silbury, it had been hot and sunny and Avebury was packed (it was Easter holidays) so to see it so peaceful on that Sunday morning was just wonderful.

I am planning to take Vicky there for her 40th next year. I just hope she has as fabulous a time as we did.

Reply | with quote
Vicster
Posted by Vicster
23rd August 2009ce
08:47

Messages in this topic: